[T2] CHT with Dakota gauge

Michael Howe dedhammike at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 06:39:40 MST 2015

Sami, I feel your pain.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss.  I also have a
Dakota Digital CHT gauge.  Mine is on a 73 Westy with a 1700 with dual
40IDF.  I also have an Innovex AFR gauge.  On my bus, those numbers would
scare me.  My bus has low compression(just limping by until end of Fall) of
about 100psi per cylinder, which in turn makes the engine have to work
harder.  I typically run around 370-380 at 60mph on a flat.  When it comes
to hills on the highway, on long climbs I will get up to 400.  But I try to
limit myself there.  I will slow down and alternate between full throttle
and letting it coast with the clutch out for 5 seconds to cool the heads
back down.  When not paying attention on a long hill and with my wife
driving, the highest that I have ever seen mine is about 420.

--
Mike Howe
dedhammike at gmail.com
207-974-6651