[T2] hard to start in the rain

Jack Dinan jdinan at cox.net
Tue Apr 28 05:41:17 MST 2015

The sole function of the start position on the ignition switch is to
put 12 V on terminal 50 of the solenoid. To crank the starter from
"back there", one has only to put 12V on terminal 50 another way.

On all my VWs, I do this by clipping one end of a wire to terminal 50
and leading the other end to the battery area, where i just leave it
dangling until needed. When I want to start the engine remotely, I
connect one of those cheap remote starting switches between battery +
and that wire.

Turn the ignition switch to the first click to put 12V on the coil
and then crank away via the remote starter.

One man job.