[T2] 1974 colors

John Kolak jkolak at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 21:35:47 MST 2015

Does anyone know the original primer color on a 74 Kombi? The previous
owner said the bus was green when he bought it, but I found orange
under that, and thought that was the original color.

But when I got the birth certificate, it said it was shipped in
primer. Stripping the side panels, I found a green primer, which I
thought would be a high zinc quality primer that VW might use, but now
on stripping under the front bumper, I am finding the orange was
applied over white primer, which was applied over red oxide primer.

I find it hard to believe that VW would still be using red oxide as
late as 1974. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

John