[T2] hard to start in the rain...

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Tue Apr 14 06:58:32 MST 2015

Ok, I've got my '69 singlecab - really needing bodywork after my friend smashed a car in front of him while driving my truck. :(

But I digress - my truck has been pretty much sitting in the driveway all winter - waiting for salt to disappear. The weather has cleared, and I went to start it - battery totally dead, will not take a charge. Covered by warranty - which is good, walk into FLAPS with old battery and out with new one. No charge, just my time.

I drive it a couple times - and it runs well.

On Friday I loaded it up to move some stuff around, and it had been damp/raining for a couple days. The engine would turn over nice and strong over and over again. But it would not catch. It was low on fuel, so I thought that was the problem. I added some fuel. Then same thing. I checked the fuel lines - the engine is getting fuel. So maybe I flooded it. I let it sit for a while , drained fuel out of carb. Still same symptoms. I tried some starting fluid sprayed into carb - almost got it to turn over.

But never able to get it started.

Thought I'd let it sit and think about it.

Next day, sunny, dry - I go to start it, and it starts right up. Where should I start troubleshooting? - I am getting fuel, so I need spark, right? The engine is turning over nice and strong. I am thinking some electrical item has water condensing inside it.

Extra info - I have a point replacement petronix thing inside the SVDA from Airc**led.net

Thanks...

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy