[T2] Carburetor leak

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 19:04:15 MST 2014

Jim Denton quoth:

>The leak from the throttle bushings means that you are dumping in excess
>fuel above the bushings.  This will happen with a brand new carb.  I
>suspect you are pumping the throttle with the engine off and seeing gas
>leaking out through the bushings.  This is absolutely normal.

	I score a good vibe off that cautious minimalist approach.
Rahd awn  Jim
	Watchful waiting looks best, on the facts we have.
	A carb is not like its schematic.  Petrol seeps out at
various places, and is not necessarily a hazard or even a nuisance.
	The excuse for olde Brit bykes dripping oil from their
vertically-split crankcases was 'the drip proves there's still some
oil in there'.  Would the counterpart for carbs be "some vapour &
some liquid are being exuded, so that proves there's petrol in there"
?  No, that's a bad joke.
	But I support Jim's do-little approach.  Most petrol leaks
are a matter of degree.

>  >
>>  My carburetor (34 pict 3)

	Some senior VW mechanics say this model Solex was "a dog", an
anomalous lemon surrounded by impressive Solex carbs.
	Only a few listees have smiled upon it this past several y,
and several badmouthed it.
	So if you have to replace it, that may be progress :-X
	But if this fuel leak is the only trouble, stick with the
dreaded PICT-3.  Millions have.

>  > So does anyone of you have real world experience with brands like empi,
>  > euromax or brosal?

	For the 1600dp, the Brazilian 'Weber' (that word absent from
this crib; word 'Brosol' may show) tho' only 30/31 corresp to your
considerably bigger 34 Solex, can give good power & mileage.  But
when they wear out, they are v hard to fix.

>OR with refurbing the bushes?

	One way or another, if the carb is otherwise OK, try to fix
the bushes.  The spirit of Munro mumbles 'shim' but that could be too
bodgie  ... seriously, is there a petrol-proof epoxy that can make a
new bush in situ ?

Do nothing till you've appraised the petrol flux.  And keep a good
fire-extinguisher handy ;-)

--
Robt Mann
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand