[T2] Crankshaft: how screwed am I?

Roger Lemberg phroggie at ieee.org
Sun Nov 30 14:46:06 MST 2014

I need some experienced advice here.

When I replaced the gland-nut, it’s pretty obvious I didn’t torque it enough: after about two miles it came loose and the dowel holes in the flywheel and crankshaft were distorted. Obviously the flywheel is toast.

I was fully resigned to the fact that my crankshaft is now a piece of scrap metal when i looked and saw that it was drilled for eight dowels even though the flywheel only had four holes and dowels.

Shouldn’t I be able to mount a new four hole flywheel using these undamaged holes?

Of course there are wrinkles. Literally. Four of them. Around the damaged holes are slight wrinkles so the end face of the crankshaft is not perfectly flat around them. Some pounding and grinding should get rid of them, or am I in denial?

And one more thing: between the flywheel and the crankshaft was a thin steel shim with four perforations for the dowels. Bentley doesn’t show it and I don’t see mention of it any where else. What is it and could it help compensate for an uneven crankshaft face? Is there some name for it?

Or am I deluding myself and. absent a machine shop, the engine  (or at least the block) is history?

Peace

Phroggie and Phrogbus

(was a 70 Sportsmobile conversion)