[T2] Clutch Problem

Roger Lemberg phroggie at ieee.org
Sun Nov 9 19:19:30 MST 2014

With sudden onset, I started having clutch problems this morning.

With the pedal floored, there still seems to be some grabbing. Shifting became progressively more difficult. Finally it got to the point where it was grabbing enough to jerk the car a little by the time I got Phrogbus home. While driving, I kept “checking” the pedal free-play with my foot and it always felt normal.

Being a veteran of torn clutch cables (I once had to change one between service calls on typewriters, whatever those were) it felt like the way it feels as strand by strand separates and the cable stretches except, as I said, the free-play felt normal the whole time. That’s inconsistent with a tearing cable.

Once home I loosened the cable and took it out hoping that there’d be something obviously wrong (like it hanging from one strand) and that I could slap in my spare, order a new spare from Ron and still have time for a nap. Instead the cable was in perfect condition with absolutely no signs of wear.

I also took out the sleeve and lo and behold, in the back, the cylinder that’s bonded to the end that fits in the bracket on the transaxle had sheared off. (It’s plastic.)

Thus, I guess, the sleeve’s end was free to bend or otherwise move at the back end where it enters the bracket.

Has anyone had that happen? Would the symptom be the clutch not fully disengaging? Or is this coincidental and I have problems inside the clutch?

Phroggie and his Phrogbus
(was a 1970 Sportsmobile conversion)