[T2] Flywheel woes

Darren Evans-Young darren at bama.ua.edu
Sun May 25 23:22:01 MST 2014

On Sun, 25 May 2014, Jamie wrote:

>you sent the flywheel in to be resurfaced,,, do you know for sure you got
>the same flywheel back.?

Yup, same flywheel.

>remove the shims,, install the flywheel,, make sure the engine turns,, then
>check the play,, if you measure "0.030 play,, then you need  about "0.026 of
>shims to put in place to leave about 4 thou of play..
>then make sure the engine turns over,, and bobs your uncle! install the
>engine
>
>you can measure the end play with a dial indicator, or with feeler guages

I don't think this is related to end play. Why would that change if the
the flywheel is removed to replace the crank seal? Would replacing the
pilot bearing change the end play? It's as if the flywheel is going in
too far. Also, trying to avoid pulling out the new seal unless I really
have to.  Sounds like I may have to.

Darren
'79 Bus