[T2] Tire choice for 15x6 rims- check the dates!

Mike Benthin muts at verizon.net
Wed May 7 22:26:37 MST 2014

What counts is the max load rating on the side of the tire at its MAX
inflation.  1200lb max load is NOT enough for a bus loaded with people
and stuff.  What BusDepot sells (60 lb max inflation) is what you want.
14 yr old tires  are a blowout waiting to happen- the plasticizers in
the side wall will gas out over time  leaving a stiffer rubber that can
delaminate under heat and speed, as happened to me when I drove an
UNUSED tire out of a 74 bus (spare) 20 yrs later- it looked perfect with
no cracks. Very scary on a front tire in traffic.  Current tires have a
date code showing week/yr on the side wall, and 6 yrs is considered the
max one should use it, especially if little cracks show in the sidewall.
   I have a Roadtrek class B also now and it uses an E rated tire with
recc. inflation at its max, 80 lbs! That is because the van weights
8,000 lbs, 60% of it in the back.  When I purchased it with only 63k mi
a yr ago the tires looked perfect treadwise, as the PO used these for a
big vacation trip once a yr only, and they were over 6 yrs old.  There
were cracks in the sidewall- the tires must be exercised (used) monthly
to keep the side wall elastic, and often they sit all winter and spring
unused.  This is a common problem with elderly owners not using the van
enough and assuming the good looking tires 10 yrs later are OK.

MUTS Oboe/EH support = Michael's Ultimate Thumb Saver
93 Chevy Roadtrek 210P
78 VW Westfalia Camper