[T2] 1600DP Case studs - problem - solution (?)

Bob Perring perring at roadrunner.com
Sun Mar 23 08:05:59 MST 2014

My late production run 1600DP case has 10mm original Brazilian
factory supply case savers and 8mm case studs.

1.
Suspecting at least one case stud to be stretching, I decided to
failure test one very suspect stud.

Cylinder #4 (lower right side) case stud then stretched beyond yield
to the point of actually breaking under my stress test at 26 ft-lb torque.

Again, these would be original Brazilian supply studs, since I am the
original and sole owner of this case.

1A. - Question
Why did Brazil not just go ahead and just use 10mm studs,
as opposed to staying with 8mm stud design, - - - even after the case
was machined for the larger 10mm size (?)

2. - Failed solution
OK, thinking I could fast attack solve this failure by taking studs
from my 1970 all German, factory supplied 1600 single port (cracked
case) engine -
I went to take case studs from that engine,
only to discover that 1970 case having 10mm studs directly installed
into the case without case savers.

2A. - Question
Would this 1600 single port case, with 10mm case studs directly
installed into the case, been original German design supply,
or did somebody do this to the engine on a rebuild before my ownership of same?

3. - Solution
I am thinking to replace the 8mm case studs for my Brazilian 1600DP
with something of known higher strength metallurgy such as SCAT 8740
Chromoly Head Studs.

I could then comfortably do 23 ft-lb torque on the studs without fear
of stretching, stripping, pulling, nor their breaking.

3A - Comments  ????

Thanx for reading,