[T2] Undercoating removal tip

Joe Average joeaverage at frontiernet.net
Wed Mar 19 13:45:37 MST 2014

I tried everything - heat/putty knife, wire brush, and stripping discs
the store assured me would be the ticket.

The ticket ended up being a pneumatic needle scaler. Mine wasn't
expensive from the local "Made in China" store but of course you'll need
an air compressor.

Light touch (i.e. don't push hard) and use all the safety gear.

Found several places in the wheel wells where the undercoating had
released from the metal and created pockets where potentially water and
salt could collect and cause rust. As I suspected. Worried is more like it.

All the undercoating is coming off, everything cleaned up - and then
I'll just repaint the underbody. This is the part where I want a
rotisserie except my garage is too small and my driveway too slanted for
a rotisserie.

Primering it was fun. Paint ran down my brush and hand so I'll spray it
instead. Oh for a lift and a ceiling high enough to make use of a lift. ;)

Chris in TN
'78 VW Westy 2.7L
'65 VW Beetle 2.0L
'99 CR-V EX AWD