[T2] Replacing pushrod seals

Scott Busby swbusby at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 16:44:04 MST 2014

Looks like its time to replace the pushrod seals on my 74 bus. I was
putting it off, but now enough oil is dripping onto the heater boxes that
significant smoke is coming off of the boxes when they are hot. Kind of
embarrassing at a stop signal, and I can't get my wife to ride in the bus
when its like this.

I'm pretty sure its the pushrods and not the valve covers, but I'm not 100%
sure. I have replaced the valve cover gaskets twice since I discovered the
leaks and it hasn't helped. I kept thinking I was replacing the gaskets
wrong.

So I took off the bottom tins, and I do see drips at the bottom of the
pushrod seals where the pushrods enter the heads. I've done lots of work on
my bus, but I haven't done this one before. It looks to be not too bad, as
long as I can keep things organized and clean.

How often you you guys have to replace push rod seals? Do you use just oil
on the seals, or a sealant?

Scott B
74 VW Bus