[T2] Any Body have Camper Story?

Mike Benthin muts at verizon.net
Sat Jun 21 09:59:26 MST 2014

  In my dumber, younger, poorer days (about 1974) I rebuilt a 71 Westy
engine with "big bores" and put on a holly-Weber progressive carb.  Then
drove it to Florida from Syracuse, ny- and by the time I got to Ocala,
it had lost power and made noises suggesting valves.   Did a compression
test (not good)- limped it to mom's house in Inverness (I think I pulled
the spark plug on offending cylinder to lessen stress on valve) and
pulled the engine in the driverway with 2 scissor jacks on a board laid
on 3 broom handles.  Remember, there is no engine hatch in a 71, so you
lower the engine on the cv axles so you can reach behind the cooler
shroud to loosen the upper nuts.
    Pulled the heads, and remember grinding a small crowbar to allow
pulling down the valves to pull the keepers.  One valve looked like a 3
cornered hat and the seat edge was burned- I bought a valve at a
dealership,who informed me I likely overheated it with a high
compression ratio the big bores caused (I did not realize this then).  I
ground down the bad valve to hold a piece of "whizz disk (carborundum
impregnated mesh) epoxied to it. This was spun in the seat with a drill
holding the valve stem, and I then lapped the new valve in the seat to
get a seal- did that with maybe another valve or so.
Well, the valve sat deep enough I had to grind some off the other end to
get .004 clearance.  This got me home with using higher octane gas, 1500
miles!  I finally rebuilt it again with stock cylinders.

MUTS Oboe/EH support = Michael's Ultimate Thumb Saver
93 Chevy Roadtrek 210P
78 VW Westfalia Camper