[T2] Coolers, Fridges, and Electricity

c.dreike c.dreike at verizon.net
Tue Jul 1 21:44:37 MST 2014

Jamie,
Excellent dissertation, however I would question the part about using a
small wire and that a large one would burn out the alternator. I would
worry about a small wire going up in smoke!

In general, large diameter wires should be used to hook up an inverter
to a battery. I was looking at 2 #6 wires in parallel to go 10 feet from
the my battery to the location of my fridge until I decided to mount the
inverter as close as possible to the battery. Even with that much
copper, the drop would have been something like 0.2 volts at a full draw
of 50 amps surge.
Handy dandy wire resistance calculator:
http://www.cirris.com/learning-center/calculators/133-wire-resistance-calculator-table

I would use either the Romex or BX style cable to route my 115VAC. BX
has a metal sheath.

The no load specs on my inverter are around .06 amps. Still not a drain
I would like to leave on my battery for more than a couple days
continuous. On the other hand, .06 amp for 48 hours is only 2.88 amp-hours.

Chris