[T2] Fuel injection system for my 74 bus

Jamie jrivers at globalserve.net
Sun Jan 5 10:49:57 MST 2014

Mega squirt is adjustable.. makes a lot of sense to look into that.

I didn't, or haven't yet....I think I should ,, I put a factory EFi in my
74.

if you can rob a parts bus for parts...
filter box mount
EFi tank
along with all the EFi stuff...
AFM,
Airbox
Air distributor / throttle body/ and runners,/ injectors ,/lines gaskets
steel fuel lines
pump
EFi wiring harness
Pump wiring harness
double relay
resistor pack
throttle cable , bowden tube

I had to include the afm air intake filter box mount, which I got from a
donor bus, gentley drilled out the spot welds to get it out,, and put it
back in with TEK self tapping hex head screws thru the drill holes left from
the spot welds. Painted over them and they don't stand out at all.

You do need to "hack" a hole in the body for the ECU if you want it to look
factory, I cut a slot down the middle of the rectangular hole I wanted..plus
4 slots out to the corners,, then pushed the flaps into the cavity,, this
gave the edge a little rounded surface, more strength , and that cut edge
that may not have paint and may develop a little rust was not right in the
view.
I fitted the same captive "speaker" nut that the ECU uses from the factory,
and most people think my camper is a 79 body... as it does look factory. the
cuts in the hole look like >----<  but vertical.

It is easy to mount the resistor pack, and the double relay to the same area
as the factory did.
as is mounting the fuel pump...  I didn't see any reason to mod it so it
looks like a 79 factory install..

originally, I put a T in the fuel line directly below the tank... and it
works fine. I had another issue,, and I thought it was the T ,, but turned
out to be a collapsed fuel line between the filter and the pump.. so make
sure you only use enough hose between the filter and the pump to connect
them,, like 2" ....
When I "built" the T,,, I used something like a 1/2" brass T with fittings
to reduce to the hose size coming out of the tank, going to the filter, and
coming from the pressure regulator... the reasoning was to have a bit of a
reservoir for the return fuel and have less turbulance, and create less air
bubbles...  as I was worried about a lot of "stories" I heard with regard to
ethonal etc...  imho it is a non issue
At one point, I had removed the T and put the return to tank line back into
the tank thru a vent line at the top of the tank.. this turns out to be a
bit of a problem with venting a full tank ... and raw gas goes into the
reduced capacity of the venting ... instead of just fumes..
Also, at one point I have made a twin tube fitting to replace the single
tube fitting from the factory 74 carb tank as it installs with a large nut,
Now I have a EFi tank installed with an outlet tube, and return to tank
inlet ....

I switched to a Cali electronic distributor as well. but i think it would be
best to have a distributor that matches the EFi system you have..
when looking at a different distributor, you need to ensure you have the
correct throttle body as some have a vac port, some don't .

there are 74 automatic .... 76 with a throttle switch, and 77- 79 which I
think is preferable second choice to megasquirt..
also, I am pretty sure Karl had tried almost every ECU in his buses, and
found NO DIFFERENCE in them..  in fact he sort of proved there are different
numbers, but the interchange ECU all used the same number... I have
interchanged a fair number of ECU to ensure they work,, and I have not found
an issue with installing any ECU and having it work..

---------------
http://type2.com/library/fuel/ecuswap.htm Karl said:
A while back someone asked what the difference was between all the ECU's on
bay window buses. VW/Bosch made 4 per year model. Cal auto and Cal manual,
Fed auto and Fed manual. I said I have never felt a diference in any of them
when I test them in my 77 Westy. With that in mind, I just went to my EKTA
disc to see what VW says the part number of the ECU should be.

That 039-906-021B that Bus Boys says fits fits 79 Cal manual trans.... well
EKTA says it is the ONLY ECU available for ALL transmissions in these
applications:

1) Calif, from the start of the 77 year model to the end of the 78 year
model
2) ALL Fed bay buses from 77 to the end of 79. EKTA does not show it for 79
Cal!
3) ALL aircooled Fed Vanagons, 80 to 83.5.

The Calif Vanagon is 071-906-021B

No wonder I never felt a difference! There isn't one.