[T2] Wheel bearing thrust washer

Andy McKinley airhedz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 22:51:30 MST 2014

Mike,
The tapering is a result of the manufacturing process. The thrust washers,
and indeed almost all flat washers, are stamped out of sheets of steel. The
stamping process, much like cutting a slice of frosted cake, results in the
taper you see (a tapered top, and some raised edges around the underside).
As a rule, I orient the tapered, or rounded edge toward any surface that
may be affected by the slightly raised and sharp bottom of the slice (sharp
edges toward the nut, rounded edges toward the mating surface).
Washers have two sides; one with sharp edges, and one rounded.
If you're not really anal about this, it probably makes little difference.
But like you, when faced with a decision like this, I always try to figure
out which is best, even if the differences are very minor.

Andy McKinley
airhedz at gmail.com