[T2] Accelerator cable question

Dave Gillingham dave at coronado-realty.com
Sun Feb 9 10:45:02 MST 2014

Hello-

Thanks for the advice on my somewhat loose front end.  I am probably going to take it to a shop nearby and have the whole front end gone through.

Instead of tackling the front end, in a fit of preventative maintenance zeal, I replace the clutch cable and bowden tube yesterday.  Amazing how much smoother it is now.  I found this really good methodology on the web:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Replacing-a-bowden-tube-on-a-VW-Type-II-Bay-Window/

And as I was under the van, I also investigated my accelerator cable which periodically sticks when accelerating (the pedal does not want to go down smoothly).  I have a type 4 2.0 with dual Kadrons.  The linkage for the carbs seems fine, but I noticed that the tube that goes through the firewall is completely free to move fore and aft, and that the cable cover between the chassis and the firewall piece is incomplete.  Seems like this ought to be a more fixed setup.  Is it possible to buy a replacement accelerator cable cover that can be affixed to the tube that goes through the firewall?

Thanks!

Dave Gillingham,
73 Panel Van

Dave Gillingham, Owner/Broker