[T2] Front end getting loose

Dave Gillingham dave at coronado-realty.com
Fri Feb 7 18:34:54 MST 2014

The steering on my 73 Panel van is probably getting to the point where work needs to be done.  I drove it across the Coronado Bridge the other day in gusty winds, and it was a somewhat life threatening experience.  Interestingly, the problem seemed to get worse when I replaced the tires with a more rigid sidewall type.

My questions:

1) Where to start, and how to determine what needs to be replaced?
2) What are the most likely suspects?
3) There a a good front end shop nearby - should I punt and have them do the work?

The van is my daily driver, and I have never done any work on the front end (other than brakes), so it seems reasonable that it's time has come.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Gillingham
73 Panel Van