[T2] 73-79 bumper bolts

John Burneskis john.burneskis at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 19:37:01 MST 2014

Also, the '73-'79 bumper bolts have a thread-cutting bite to them.

I replaced my stock bumper bolts with four stainless steel ones just two
years back,  This week, I decided to remove my front bumper to get my
license plate bracket back on.

Yes, that thread-cutting feature is REAL; I buggered up the threads in the
bumper, and one of the four bolts just would not take a bite.  So I went to
the 'buggy man' in Lorton, and I got a 6pt / 6mm socket-head bolt that is
actually used for 'refreshing' the threads.

And it was not a quick task!  I have used (unsuccessfully) thread chasers
in the past, so I was cautious, trying to remember all my mistakes.  And
trying not to make new mistakes.

After 3-5 minutes, I had the socket-head bolt half way down the thread, and
I was home safe!  A couple more ins & outs with the socket-head bolt to get
a smooth thread.

Even still, it took a minute or two just to get my stainless steel bumper
bolt to accept the new pathway.

And since I solved the problem, I commenced to make another one.

Will it never end!!

Barry sends