[T2] Timing type 4 motor

Martin Strandgard mnstra at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Apr 23 15:48:34 MST 2014

>After arriving home, I guess the exhaust or engine or combined melted the lower part if the plastic fan guard. Then before I noticed I started the bus(which started fine while once cool), and sucked in the guard parts into the fan.

I have never heard of the fan guard melting and mine has never shown any sign of it. That suggest to me that you were running too hot. I gather from your comments you do not have a cylinder head temp gauge. I suggest you get one ASAP to find out what is going on.

The valves should all be set to 0.006" now. VW dropped the 0.008 for the exhaust valves at some stage. I agree about setting the timing at max advance but the conventional wisdom is to set it to 28 deg with the vacuum advance removed and plugged at the carb end. Then check that it goes up another ten deg or so when the vacuum advance is reattached.

Martin