[T2] Timing type 4 motor

Greg Potts greg at pottsfamily.ca
Wed Apr 23 12:23:38 MST 2014

Hi Richard,

There's a lot to consider from what you have told us thus far.

If the engine/exhaust heat melted the cooling fan guard then you have a
problem. If the air going into the fan is hot enough to
melt plastic it's not going to be doing a very good job of cooling the
engine.

Is the engine tin and foam seal installed correctly between the
engine and the body?  Missing tin or a missing seal will damage your
engine as the exhaust heat gets recycled endlessly through the cooling
system.

With a stock type4 engine and a single-vac distributor I'd recommend
running at 7.5 BTDC, and check the total advance to make sure it doesn't
get any higher than 40-44 degrees.

I usually set all my valves at 0.006" and use a non-adjustable timing
light without problems. I can't see a reason to retorque the heads from
what you've told us but a basic compression test or a leak-down test
would provide more insight as to what is going on inside the engine.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts
Toronto, Ontario Canada
197x Westfakia "Bob the Tomato"