[T2] Bellhousing seal..

John Anderson wvukidsdoc at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 30 17:02:03 MST 2013

Syd,

A piece of square cut pipe (even normal schedule 40 plastic ABS/PVC cut nice and square in a chop/sliding miter saw) will work fine.  Can use a section of the ABS/PVC with a cap on it over the end to hit, drive her nice and square.

As to the question though, a bit hard to say, although it would warm my heart if it held with static pressure sitting at 90 degrees, that doesn't mean that with the ring gear spinning in there kicking stuff up and the input shaft spinning at 3500 rpm in the seal that it will still seal.  With a good pilot bearing, and no leak with your static test, and a good functional trans case vent not blocked by anything, yeah you are probably OK.  But now is the time to do it conversely.  If you got a good VW shop and bring them tranny and seal, they'll probably hit it in with said piece of pipe that they have sitting around for $10-20 though...

John

 From: Squid <sydclarke at shaw.ca>

Where the trans shaft comes through the clutch housing on my '74 1.8 l, I have bought new 'seal' pkg, but, if i tilt the tranny to 90 degrees and no fluid leaks out, is the seal good?  I assume from same position, if there is 'weepage', it is ok, since vehicle would never be in that position,, unless I roll it off a cliff!  I am just 'shy' of replacing it with new one,from Bentley procedure, where you need NLA VW Bellhousing seal insert tool!  Anyone, done this "ala Barn do"?  Thanks