[T2] enhance engine build tips

Lourd Baltimore lourd_baltimore at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 30 00:38:29 MST 2013

No answers yet?

I haven't done a rebuild, but I'm looking to rebuild my Type 1 engine in the near future after an overheating incident...

I would think that a good starting point would be the Tom Wilson book How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine.
Then use the Internets to supplement that book.  The info over at http://www.aircooledtech.com/ looks good as well Ratwell's stuff (http://www.ratwell.com/).
There are also Bob Hoover's notes as well (is there an archive somewhere?).

For entertainment value check out out Hambone's VW (and other engine, cooking, hunting) videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc3Qefc5ItE.

There is another VW rebuilding book that should be coming out in February published by Haynes and written by Laurie Pettitt.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Volkswagen-Air-Cooled-Engine-Rebuild-Manual/dp/0857332465/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3VPZ2S70KR5LH&coliid=I3KWRRBBSJMRD5
Laurie Pettitt is the man when in comes to rebuilds in the UK scene.  I plan to buy study this when it is released.

If I had the time and money, then I would go Fuel Injection via MegaSquirt.

I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable folks who can answer your questions on this list...

Cheers,

Josh
.