[T2] enhance engine build tips

Christophe Guilbert cguilbert at picasso.ucsf.edu
Thu Oct 17 20:38:48 MST 2013

Hi ,

First, I really would like to thanks everyone in this list who help me
diagnose my engine problem.
I finally decided to rebuild my 2.0L CA (vanagon 1983) engine. I am
starting tomorrow and hope to finish within a week.

I have great expectation with this new engine and plan to reach the
arctic circle (CA -> Alaska) with my kids next summer !

I would really appreciate the experiences and tips of those who rebuilt
this engine. Any tips to make it more reliable and more powerful than
the original one. Any tips concerning parts which can't be find anymore.
Manufacturer , etc ....

Here are some of those questions (non exhaustive list)
1) What is the best head out there
2) Parts to upgrade for more power.
3) Engine enhancement strategy , better oil cooling system, ....
4) Incorporate a temp sensor (at a different location than the sparking
plug)
5) Where I can find a mechanic to balance the engine in California (bay
area)
6) I remember someone mention ( a long time ago) a sealant which was use
to seal airplane Aluminum Engine , does anyone remind me what it was ?
7) Any any tips to enhance the rebuild engine would be welcome.

I promise that I'll create a  nice website (with pics)  with a
compilation of all the improvements including of course the new spec of
the engine once installed on my baby !

Thanks for any help.
Chris , Vanagon 1983