[T2] Timing question (1600cc)

raceingcajun raceingcajun at communicomm.com
Sun Oct 27 11:35:52 MST 2013

Here is a simple way to keep track of which valves to adjust.....and when:

Align TDC knoch in crankshaft pulley with "split" in case, put paint mark on
outside edge of pulley matching knoch. Turn crankshaft 180 degrees (1/2 half
turn) put a paint mark on outside edge of pulley.

1) Turn crankshaft till #1 cylinder is at TDC on the firing stroke. Adjust
both valves on #1 cylinder. (also #3 cylinder will be at overlap)

            Notice, when you turn the engine backwards starting on number
one cylinder the firing order is 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 !

2) Turn crankshaft "Backwards" 180' degrees until paint mark lines up with
case split. Adjust both valves on # 2 cylinder ( #4 will be at overlap)

3)  Turn crankshaft "Backwards" another 180' degrees until paint mark and
TDC knoch line up with case split. Adjust both valves on
      #3 cylinder

4)  Turn crankshaft "Backwards" 180' degrees until paint mark lines up with
case split. Adjust both valves on # 4 cylinder
      By doing this you don't need a spotter to turn the crank or watch the
valves.

Note: These rules are true for any engine with an even number of cylinders.
What ever cylinder is firing the opposite cylinder in the firing order, is
at overlap. Volkswagen firing order 1432, #1 and #3,    #2 and #4. etc.