[T2] Timing question (1600cc)

Scott Busby swbusby at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 10:16:09 MST 2013

I always like to specify which stroke whenever I say TDC. For example, if
you set the valve gaps for a cylinder at TDC on the exhaust stroke, you
will have a mess. Valve gap must be set at TDC of the compression stroke.
You can tell because on the compression stroke, both valves are closed, and
their gaps are open. ( and thus you can set the gap on both ).

The two TDCs (compression and exhaust) for a cylinder are one full engine
rotation apart, but at any given TDC on the timing wheel, one of your
cylinders is at TDC of the compression stroke, I always look at the
distributor rotor to see which one it is. Alternatively, If you get
somebody to turn the engine slowly, while you watch the valves of a
cylinder, then TDC of the compression stroke comes right after the intake
valve opens-then closes.

Scott B
74 Bus