[T2] Run engine on idle to charge batteries

Joe St.Croix spotop at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 04:51:34 MST 2013

the short answer is no its not going to hurt the engine, it was made to
run.
The one thing that comes to mind is that it is aircooled and it uses scoops
to force cool air to cool the engine, now that it would be stationary, lots
of heat will build under the bus and without sufficient air flow around the
bottom side and into the scoops can create unwanted problems. In the long
run it would be more efficient to use solar to top up the batteries. The
engine is not properly housed to act as a generator.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 6:33 AM, Daniel Martinelli
<daniel.martinelli at gmx.ch>wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I have quite a view electric appliances in my bus. So if I go camping (off
> campgrounds)  I sometimes run low on battery power. Now if I would run my
> engine on idle for a couple of hours (I have a T2ab with an alternator),
> could I top up my batteries or could this be a problem for the engine (wear
> of the bearings or other issues)?
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel <daniel.martinelli at gmx.ch>