[T2] engine oil pump / second oil cooler , engine improvement

Old Volks Home oldvolkshome at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 22:22:44 MST 2013

Ah, you have a 2.0 Type 4 engine.  Totally different from the 1600 based
engine.  Melling makes a heavy duty pump for that, but has a major problem
-  It is made of cast iron, so the heat expansion rate of the aluminum case
and the cast iron is so different, that leaks abound (ask me how I know).
 The stock Type 4 pump is adequate for the additional cooler.  In my
installation on my ex-80 Vanagon, it worked very well....in fact too well
that I had to install an oil thermostat on the supply line to the cooler.
 Don't run the engine oil too cool, otherwise you will have lubrication
problems.

Just my nickel's worth

Jim Thompson
84 GL 1.9 "Gloria"
84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt"
72 411 Station Wagon "Pug"
75 914 1.8 "Nancy"
Full Timing From March 1999 To January 2012
oldvolkshome at gmail.com
http://www.oldvolkshome.com
Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jim-Thompson/100000710343835