[T2] Beetle rear view mirror -> into a late bay

John Burneskis john.burneskis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 10:39:20 MST 2013

I replaced my '78/'73 bay stock rear view mirror with a [longer stalk]
beetle rear view mirror.

( Great news - thanks for sharing...  SO WHAT ! ! ! }

Well, when I looked in my rear view mirror to see the traffic which was
behind me, I could not see but a few hundred feet.  I could not 'see to the
horizon'.

This is symptomatic of a sagging rear . . . { <- in the VW ! ! !}.

In my case, I had replaced my bay seats with Vanagon seats, where I sat
HIGHER, which skewed the viewing angle.  I would have to hooch way down,
crick my neck to see ALL the traffic behind me..

The problem is that, although the beetle rear  view mirror snaps in
perfectly, the longer stalk actually touches and presses against the
windshield.

My simple successful solution, putting the stalk in a workbench vice and
using heat on the stalk, was to BEND the beetle rear view mirror stalk so
it was a *comfortable distance* away from the windshield.

I just wanted to share . . .

Barry Burneskis
Springfield VA