[T2] fuel gauge unreliability

Aurelio Sanabria sufrostico at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 20:27:55 MST 2013

My one is always 1/4 gallon  under the real  measure.

Also, when there is only one quarter remaining the needle sticks there and only after turn it off and then turn it on again that the needle falls to the R.

And yes, I learn this the hard way... Like three times the  hard way... to be presice.

accessys at smart.net escribió:

>in carrying fuel in containers remember to put in some fuel stabilizer
>so
>it will not be varnish when needed, every few months I pour my spare
>into
>the tank and refill the container just to keep things fresh.
>
>Bob
>
>On Tue, 5 Nov 2013, Robert Mann wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 08:54:57 +1300
>> From: Robert Mann <robtmann7 at gmail.com>
>> To: VW type 2 late aircooled <type2 at type2.com>
>> Subject: [T2] fuel gauge unreliability
>>
>> 	I was aware that my 40-y-old petrol gauge was not fully accurate.
>In
>> 7y of consistent performance, it has always slightly failed to show
>Full when
>> the tank has just been filled to the visible top, and alleged Empty
>when I
>> can go a further c.25 mi on econocruise.  Systematic skewing of
>readings like
>> that is not a practical problem; no complaints (tho' I would like a
>Reserve
>> tap).
>> 	But last week I set out a half-h early to drive 30 mi to a rare
>> lecture by a world leader in applied ecology, whom I had met 30 y
>ago.  I'd
>> been content to pay $10 to the host Ak Museum website, because I have
>admired
>> this eminent scholar's thought for 4 decades (and sold c.800 of his
>textbook
>> to my students over a dozen y).  My fuel gauge showed 1/4 and so I
>breezed on
>> past a handy filling station, fixated on trying to beat the Rush Hour
>Creep
>> over the harbour bridge and thru beautiful downtown Auckland.  The
>experience
>> became dismal, frustrated as I arrived late, missing some of the
>lecture and
>> unable to contact the visitors & the chmn to arrange to dine with
>them.
>>
>> 	A few mi along the motorway the engine quit in the manner of a fuel
>> failure.  I could find no fault to explain this most unwelcome
>stoppage, and
>> concluded the gauge had stuck at 1/4.
>> 	A good friend chanced along within 5 min, so it was straightfwd to
>> take the next exit and get soaked $19.99 for a 10-litre plastic
>petrol
>> bottle.  Serve me right for not having spare fuel on board.
>>
>> 	 I realise that many old bus-drivers know this full well (probably
>> having made a mistake like the above); my aim in passing along this
>bitter
>> shameful experience is to warn younger players that the fuel gauges
>in our
>> middle-aged vehicles are not to be entirely trusted.  They can, for
>instance,
>> suddenly quietly stick.
>>

>> Conclusions:
>> 	1.  Carry spare fuel in a suitable can ( some modern plastic 'cans'
> [...]

Aurelio