[T2] travailing out to CA again & GPS systems

Kevin Guarnotta kguarnotta at usa.net
Thu Jun 20 05:39:39 MST 2013

Thanks for the tips on the Garmin. I picked up a Garmin 2597LMT. The guy
working at the store also highly recommended Garmin over TomTom or Magellan.
Although I put a lot more faith in your recommendations over his ;)

Garmin has some software called Basecamp, which is supposed to be great for
mapping out routes ahead of time and finding stuff on a map while using your
computer. And I think you can then send that info to your portable device. I
can't figure out how to use Basecamp for the life of me. Anyone use this -
could point me to a site for using it?

I've been to the Garmin sites, but I don't understand when I input an
address to begin my trip - the software can't find it. I've tried my address
and a couple different state parks we are planning on visiting - but it
can't seem to find them. I am thinking that I'm missing some really basic
thing - but I can't quite figure out what that is.

I think there is a workaround using Google maps - but I haven't quite
figured that out yet.

Any suggestions on mapping out a route beforehand using a Garmin?

-Kevin Guarnotta

Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy

'69 Singlecab