[T2] I don't need a CAT in Cali!

Mike Soultanian mike.soultanian at csulb.edu
Sat Jul 20 09:48:38 MST 2013

So every time I went to the smog guy he put down that I had a catalytic
converter even though I didn't, and the car would pass smog.  At first I
thought he was being nice, but it turned out that he thought the heater
boxes were cats.  I also thought that his system was telling him that I
needed a cat, so I figured I had to have one.

Then recently I went to a different smog guy and I was going to bring it
to get it smogged, but I told them I'd need to change out the muffler
before I brought it in because they were pretty smart and would probably
see there was no cat.  I told him that it's a federal bus and asked if I
needed a cat, so he looked in his books and said I didn't, but said it
really depended on the sticker under the rear engine hatch.  I looked
under the hatch and low and behold, there was no mention of CA smog
standards, so it turns out I don't need a cat in California.

Anyways, I didn't know if other people knew that federal buses didn't
require a cat, but I thought I'd mention it just in case you didn't
already know.