[T2] used engine (Power Steering)

Lourd Baltimore lourd_baltimore at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 23:50:01 MST 2013

There's a firm in the UK that makes a EPAS (Electronic Power Assisted Steering) unit for retro-fitting in Bay Windows and Vanagons (not sure about Splits).
http://www.litesteer.com/

Their "Techincal" page on the website seems to be down, but one of their Approved Fitting Centres more-or-less has the tech info:
http://www.vwdownunder.co.uk/power-steering.htm

It's a fail-safe design that inversely scales power assistance with vehicle speed.  That is, you get less power assistance as you go faster.
It's not cheap at £1195 Bay (includes fitting) or £995 Vanagon (self fitting).  However, I remember reading some reviews saying that if you have the spare cash, then it is a revelation.

Josh
.