[T2] half-way Bay?

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 15:30:27 MST 2013

At 11:25 AM +1300 30/11/13, Neale Green of Seedknee wrote:

>Something I've always been jealous of, NZ seems to be seen as a
>"Goldilocks" test market, not too small to waste the effort, but not too
>big to bury the results if it didn't go well, so they seem to get all the
>funky and interesting machines over there, but we don't get them in Oz :o(

	That may have been so earlier, but since
our assembly industry got shut down (just as it
was achieving better quality than Japan) the
models distributed in NZ are often more
restricted than other countries I vaguely watch.
	When we had assembly plants for several
brands VW, Ford, Fiat, Toyota, Nissan etc we were
even allowed to develop some v g sub-types, esp
Fiat 125T which was the main threat to the Lotus
Cortina.
	Sometimes NZ has been ahead of the 'home'
country e.g  the 1961 NZeta has, a year ahead of
the home nation's 1962 Cezeta, the dynamotor
straight on the end of the crankshaft, and rubber
in shear for suspension springs decreasing the
requirement for hydraulic dampers.

>I've always like the air cooled Brazilians, they meld the better bits of
>the split and bay styling quite well, ESPECIALLY the early splittie deluxe
>deluxe wrap around windows.

	Futile disputes over aesthetics are a
poor excuse to ease in bus content, but to my
mind all those wraparound-glass buses look too
weak in a rollover.

	I advocate buying the Brazilian factory,
but not re-starting it (wherever it is
reconstructed) until proper air-intakes can be
built into the body as on a T2 made in Germany.
Examples of 'outdated' factories exported include
the foisting by Poms of the BMC B (Morris Oxford
= Austin Cambridge) on India (Ambassador) and the
similarly undistinguished Hillman Hunter on Iran
where for some y it comprised c.90% of that
country's cars.
	Unfortunately the most plausible
prospects for the money to do this exceedingly
desirable re-erection of the last T2 factory are
too unpleasant, too corrupt, and too stupid to be
worth approaching.  So how will the Brazilian
factory be salvaged?
	Meanwhile, let us plan what sub-type of
T2 should the relocated Brazilian factory make.
My own preferences to set off a storm of futile
controversy ;-) :

	proper air intakes

	smallest T4 motor (OK, never owned one
but concede it's better than my beloved 1600 dp)

	single carb e.g Brazilian Weber; perhaps
a FI version for extra dough (will doubtless be
reqd to achieve low emissions)

	disc brakes on front; vac assist not
compulsory (not needed, in my experience), but
available as extra

	minimal emissions control, according to which country sold in

	water injection

	inlet vac gauge on dash (perhaps alternate to clock)

--
Robt Mann
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand