[T2] Door seal installation

Old Volks Home oldvolkshome at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 10:47:22 MST 2013

One other experienced tip -  Even with the seals fully and correctly
installed, you will find the doors difficult to close.  This is normal and
they need time to fully "seat" in place. A little known fact is that when
seals were installed on the production line, VW employed a few people to go
up and down the line opening and closing the doors to "seat" the seals as
best as possible.  In addition, completed Buses (and Bugs/Type 3s) were
often sitting with their doors closed during transport to the US (and
beyond) further allowing the seals to "seat".  By the time they arrived at
the dealers, the doors were easier to close (relatively speaking).

In a recent install of these door seals on a 71 Bus here at Airhead Parts,
we didn't remove the talcum powder, we just installed them dry with 3M
cement in most, but not all spots in the channel.

One further note:  You may find the door just slightly "sticking" out and
not flush with the body with new seals.  Resist the urge to re-adjust the
striker plates as eventually after the seals "seat" the door will
eventually become flush.  Keep in mind that when VW installed doors and did
all of the necessary adjustments, it was done without and before the seals
were installed.

Just my nickel's worth :)

--
Jim Thompson