[T2] Fuel line lifespan?

John Anderson wvukidsdoc at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 1 17:35:09 MST 2013

Ned, hard to describe, when GM started using Bosch (TPI? mid 80's some sort of jetronic) injectors prior to ripping it for themselves they noted that the standard style injectors with onset of unleaded gas, and changes to gas formulations would really have issues with deposit buildup, particularly in poorer cooling, higher heat applications.  They had to do a bunch of warranty work on cars with like 20-30k miles.  So they changed the tips to a sort of shrouded arrangement, which is supposed to be superior, have a metal shroud around the injector tip which is deeper in.  Supposed to keep proper pattern/atomization much longer.   As some sort of like 80's Cadillacs or something used the same injectors as Bus/Vanagon air cooled L-jet, they were/are pretty available, reasonably.

 Autozone initially had ones made by Lucas (spare the jokes, this was post TRW buying them) but currently they appear the same but are unmarked (presumably Chinese) manufacturer.  Probably always were made there, Lucas/TRW branded or not.  Anyway, they used to go about $32 each in the early 2000's, but had climbed to about $48 or so, but I see now they are $30 EACH shipped to home, pretty hard to risk anything but that IMHO.  I've bought em all along, and had great luck, sure beat even a good price like Bus Depot's for OEM, and hypothetically superior, though I see on BD site now the tip they picture looks the same as the Autozone picture, makes me wonder whose injectors Ron is selling currently, may be the same.

I don't know, I've had lots of sat for 10 years injectors fire up fine with reasonable spray pattern, no leaks, but had lots that dripped down on shutdown (dilutes oil, washes down cylinder walls, can seize engines), and some that are jammed solid and won't spray (or even open) at all.  Dumb luck as to which is which.  If you have, or have a buddy with an ultrasonic cleaner (Lyman sells a nice little unit for reloading that is actually good quality around $100, and you can tell the wife she can do her jewelry in it) I'd at least fill the ultrasonic with diesel/kerosene (even though it says not to, again YMMV) and toss the injectors in for 30-40 minutes, remove the hoses first, replace them after.  But then again, $120 for 4 new ones for Autozone...

John