[VB] Transmission Rebuild

Avocado Tom Tarka avocadotom at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 20:12:03 PDT 2021

Chris,

It’s so funny that you have FI because just as I was writing “what carb are you running” I thought “well, maybe he has FI...”.

Are you running a stock system or something like mega squirt?

Anywho, thanks for the tips: 4.125 seems like it might be the way to go if I’m not sure on the 1600 versus something bigger.

Cheers,
   Tom

—
“You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t cure stupid.” -T. Tarka

> On Mar 23, 2021, at 10:12 PM, Chris Dreike <cdreike at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Tom,
> I have fuel injection on my 1776. Works fairly well but I really should go to a dyno shop for a proper tuning. With My custom tune I can get 28mpg at 60mph. Pretty good! Was crazy driving out to Buses By the Bridge with a bunch of other buses. I had a half tank of fuel in my 15g tank when everyone else was empty on their 10g tanks.
> If you have dual carbs and dual port on a 1600 I think you could pull the 3.875 R&P. Don't go to a 3.44 unless you have a larger motor like a 1910.
> If you have the 4.375 that is about 6% lower gear ratio than a 4.125. I used to have 4.125 and the .82. Could easily go 65 even 70 with a 1600 DP and a weber progressive carb.
>
> Chris
>
>> On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 5:46 PM Avocado Tom Tarka <avocadotom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Chris,
>>
>> You’re totally correct: it does have the 0.82 already.  (I’m getting confused thinking of certain Bay Window transmissions).
>>
>> I will probably start with a single port 1600 but I may move to a 1776 in the future.
>>
>> It’s great to hear about your experience with the 3.875.  I’d kinda like to go with the 3.875, or at least a 4.125 (I think 4.375 is stock in the 67, but it was 4.125 earlier in the 60s?) if I could get away with it.  Cruising below 3500 at 65 is desirable, I just need to still be able to tackle the hills out here.
>>
>> What carb setup are you using on your 1776?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Tom

>>> Hi Tom,
>>> What size motor do you have? I think that the stock transmission had the .82 gear.
>>> If your motor is larger than 1600 I would go with the .82 4th gear. That is an 8% increase in gear ratio over the .89. resulting in freeway rpms being 8% lower.  Less scream from the motor. At 65mph you should see about 3600rpm if you have stock sized tires.
>>> I have a rancho rebuild with a 3.875 R&P and the .82 4th. I see about 3350 rpm at 65mph. My motor is a 1776 in my splitty. I have power enough to go easily 70 on the hwy. Don't like to go faster.
>>> Let us know what you do.
>>> YMMV!!
>>>
>>> Chris
>>> 64 DD Kamper Kit