[VB] Cleaning out a case that's been sitting...

Avocado Tom Tarka avocadotom at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 17:08:19 PDT 2021

Volks,

I'm putting together a case that has been sitting with just the jugs on it
for a long while.  The distributor and oil stand holes were covered but
(inexplicably) I never covered the push-rod tube holes.

I'm basically just putting this together as a "hot spare" engine in case I
need it - expectations are low - but I'd like to do whatever is appropriate
to clean it out before I button it up.

Any thoughts? I figured I could put a quart of cheap oil into it to get any
dirt in the sump, drain it, put two quarts in it, turn it over on the
engine stand, drain it, then run it and drain it after running it in for 20
minutes.

Is that overkill?  Is there any easier way - maybe just filling the sump
with solvent, draining it (maybe repeating that until the solvent that
comes out is clean), then filling it with oil and changing it early?

Appreciate any insights you might have...

Cheers,
   Tom
---
  "We are MoTown.  We are professionals.  We're here to get the job done."