[VB] Improved brakes

c.dreike c.dreike at verizon.net
Wed Aug 28 18:11:41 PDT 2019

I have recently been looking at the braking system on my splitty as I am
not happy with the efficiency of the brakes. You guys may remember I posted
a short time ago about installing new brake shoes from CH Toppings in Long
Beach, CA and how much better the brakes were working. Well I didn't think
that was good enough, so today I figured out how to increase the leverage
of the brake pedal. Its very simple. Remove the brake arm from the frame,
Drill a 5/16" (8mm) hole 2/10" above the existing clevis pivot hole.
Measure 2/10" from the edge of the existing hole, not the center. This will
leave a small web between the holes. Also, using a torch, bend the brake
spring hook up a bit to clear the clevis in its new position. This change
increase leverage by approximately 20%. It also shortens the stroke by 20%
so make sure your brakes are well adjusted.

Pmail me if you would like photos.

I am verrrry happy with the improved braking. Very noticeable decrease in
needed foot pressure. The brakes feel even more secure.

If you make the change and for some reason you don't like it, you can just
move the clevis back to original hole.

Keep in mind, YMMV!!!

I'm sure this would be applicable on the 68-70 bay window buses too.

Cheers!
Chris
64DD Kamper Kit
71 Bay Sunroof