[VB] 2nd Gear Problems

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Thu Nov 2 11:56:45 PDT 2017

Hi Guys,

I finally had a combination of good weather and time to take a closer look at my shifting issues. Quick recap - bus had trouble getting into 3rd gear. I went through the shifting at the front of the bus - and took it apart, tried setting the shift plate a few times (probably 6 times actually) Best I could do was to get it into all gears but reverse.

Couldn't figure the problem out. Got some suggestions from you all - was too busy to try all of them, and also to fully understand them. Now I've got the weather in my favor, and a little time.

I went under there again - and took the big heater duct off that runs from the back to the front of the bus, and moved the shift lever from under the bus - found the problem almost immediately. Or rather I found a problem, hopefully it is THE problem. The shift coupler cage like thing - there appear to be two rubbery bushings on either side of this. One just fell out. So previously when I looked - I thought everything was ok, but when you push down on the shift lever up front the bushing was so worn out - nothing was changing on the end near the tranny. I now understand what you guys were telling me before. I guess the nice weather, the not being rushed, and some time helped clear my mind enough to get it. I've got to order a new coupling - red one as suggested by tony.

I'm going to order a new piece for here - a few questions on this - I notice that the locking screw on mine appears to be the newer style - i.e. it does not have the locking wire, like the older style. When I replace this coupling, are there other parts I should replace at the same time? I.e. it looks like I might need to take the whole rod out to replace this coupling. If so I might was well replace all the bushings along the road. If I can get at the coupling from underneath, without having to take the whole rod out - then I won't' bother replacing the other bushings, because as far as I can tell the only bad piece is the one I can see.

In other words - should I be addressing/changing other parts at the same time? Should I get one of those set screws with the hole in it, or just stick with the style I have? Anything else I should think of/address when doing this job?

Oh yeah, was reading a Type 2 Supplement I found online - for repairing shifting mechanism. Looks like they say I need to remove engine/transmission assembly. I hope that is not the case...

Thanks for your help on this.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy