[VB] Last time I drove my bus

Conrad Klahn conradk at mac.com
Mon Aug 21 12:35:10 PDT 2017

Hi Chris and fellow lurkers,

In 1992, I went to get my bus inspected at Exxon. Everything was going well until the tech turned on the headlights and emergency flashers and honked the horn. While that may have saved him time, at that moment the fuse panel started smoking. He told me, 'get this piece of $hit out my garage before it burned it down.' That was the last time I got it inspected.

Unfortunately that led to me taking it off the road and starting a 25 year long 'restoration' that included taking it to a not-so-great and overpriced shop, and many life events in between.

Luckily it now runs and drives  I have every so often taken it around the neighborhood - I just got the antique plate installed Friday, so technically am legal now.

It has been difficult finding a reputable upholsterer to tackle the interior. I now have a Lenny Kopp interior and have found a shop about 30 miles away that will (with pictures) install the interior. They have done a bus or two before but not a 21 window.

Before I do that though I need to install the 3-point seat belts and side pop out windows. Hopefully I can get it out there after Labor Day.

The condition is not pristine so am looking forward to running around on a regular basis once everything is together and am able to inspect it, this time with 'rebuilt' fuse panel and a new harness.

Conrad