[VB] Good News

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Fri Aug 18 08:59:57 PDT 2017

OK - so the cold side is bringing air in, and the hot side is blowing the air out, so it gets hot normally. I also noticed the part of the intake manifold right below the carb had some condensation on it a few times - when looking into the engine compartment after a stall.

As for distributor failure - I had checked the vacuum by sucking on the tube - and it moves the plate doohickey (sorry if you can't understand the technical terms I use ;) so I think that vacuum/can is ok. IT seems to move smoothly. Although I don't have that felt below the rotor. Is there something else I could get to put in there, to keep the lube?

Shaft wobbly - is this something that you can feel - or does it just need to be off a tiny bit. IE if I grab the distributor shaft and it doesn't seem to wobble, am I good? Or do you need a special tool to measure the wobble because it can be so small?

The rubbing block is lubed.
The little ground strap is no longer on my distributor - it didn't look like it was attached? I would think something like that - if it was a problem - would either work on not work. As opposed to working intermittently?

As for going pointless - I'd like to do that, but wanted to try to figure this out first. For a couple reasons - I don't want to start introducing variables, if the distributor is bad, I'd probably want to get a points/distributor all in one to save a few bucks.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

’78 Westy
'69 Singlecab