[VB] disc brakes next - potential winter project

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Fri Aug 18 05:58:35 PDT 2017

Thanks for the info.

My Mistake again - I measured the approximate diameter of the rim - it is 15".  But looking at the tire - they are Hankook 195/R14C, so I guess 14" I had to get 195's at the time, as 185's were backordered, and I needed tires asap.

I now see I need some new front tires - not immediately, but the front ones are a bit worn - looks like I need an alignment, as they are worn unevenly.

So I have 14" rims.  Thanks for helping me realize my mistake.

They must be 5 x 205

I will go with vented. I have a dual circuit master cylinder. I put that in so long ago - I don't recall exactly which one I used. I've probably got it written down in my log book or the receipt somewhere. Is there more than one type of dual circuit that would fit here?
I spoke with Stacey at Oldspeed. Russ was out. He said they use Willwood calipers. Relatively easy to get parts for. Easy bolt on install. Will work with 14" rims. He recommended using their master cylinder, they have already removed the residual valve from it. He said it was not much money for that. They also said they include new wheel bearings. I had not thought of that.

I think the first thing I'm going to do - is go over my existing braking system, as it is not how I remember, but it has been a couple years since I drove it. So I don't know if driving a bus with disc brakes has clouded my memory, there is something wrong with my existing system. I thought discs would make a significant difference in braking, but I should probably tune up my braking system and then see how it works.

I didn't realize the type of brake shoes you use made such a difference. I'll see to it that I get german shoes for the next time I need to replace them. Who do you get them from?

Thanks for all the info.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

’78 Westy