[VB] Engine tranny combo

Sam Williams sglw at aol.com
Tue Oct 14 17:29:09 MST 2014

I have a 63 singlecab
It has a 3.88 Ring and Pinion and 205/75 15 wheels and tires.
I get 60 MPH at 3000 RPM, with GPS speedo.
I replaced the 1500 engine with a 12600 DP mexi,otor, and have since put on type 3 twin solex carbs and a bug pack header.
My guess is that this combination gives about 60 HP in stead of the 40 HP originally.

This was great until I drove back through Bakersfield CA in 105 degree heat. Being OCD I have lots of gauges and the oil temp went too high and I had to drive at 50 MPH to keep the oil temp down to 230 degrees F.

I have since put on a Porsche 356 generator pulley (10% smaller) and the oil temp is no longer a problem, I also try not to drive on the freeway when it is over 100 degrees F!

Sam Williams
sglw at aol.com