[VB] 58 double door logged panel ....

John Dillon johndillon at johndillon.com
Tue Jul 15 17:27:47 MST 2014

Last summer I was at a garage sale a few kms from home. I was driving my old bus and i talked to the couple who were running the garage sale. We talked about my bus and we talked about the guy who lives across the street from them. On a farm …. with cows …. and an electronics business … old … old …

Garage sale guy told me that the guy who lives across the street ran an electronics business for a long long time … now he’s old! He said the old guy has a couple of buses on his farm … he told me you could see them from the road but there is no way he’d sell anything … he just won’t sell stuff ….

So I drove by last summer …. the lot appeared not in any possible way inviting …. it did not at all appear inviting … so i didn’t go look at the alleged buses … on the other hand i did stop on the road and looked long and hard thru the trees … i did see a bus …

So ….. I’m driving home today and i was going to take the causeway but the bridge was up and i didn’t want to wait …. so i took a less frequently used route and headed home … drove by the farmhouse … cows … barns … electronic signs … and remembered the bus story … i got about i mile past the house at about 6:00 or so and it thought … today is the day to look at those buses … I mentioned it did not look inviting last summer/fall … it didn’t get better …

So … i pull into the driveway and I heard a crazy crazy dog … i get out and walk up to the house … dog is crazy … then I see its a loud but nice looking border collie … I hold out my hand and she/he doesn’t bite … so far so good ….

I see a bus and other stuff and go into the porch ….

A guy in … maybe late 20’s early 30’s comes out and he is friendly enough … and dog has slowed down … and I say I hear you might have some buses for sale … (I lied) … he said that they were his fathers and his father wouldn’t sell them … I ask … can i look at that bus … He says sure … so …. he tells me his father bought it new when he started the business in 58 … he says the bus is probably a 58 … it does have bullets and a euro bumpers … it’s blue and white … double door panel … it has lots of faint logo’s … even a phone  number above the front windows … very nice …. but …. its up past the wheel wells in dirt .. at least its that deep in the back … but its all there … there is also a pretty rusty beetle … mid-60’s … he says there is only the one bus … there is also a steel wheeled small tractor …

jdd