[VB] collector car insurance

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Tue Jul 8 13:17:52 MST 2014

Over the last month I -finally- got the bus covered, after years and
years of refusal by everyone.

With Grundy.

Specifically their MVP program, which does agreed value on -all- your
cars, not just your classics.    So two classics cost me ~$220/year
(for $25k on the bus, $5k on an IHC project), and the other 3 cars
cost around the same as they did with usaa and progressive, but I have
agreed value on them ($45k on the cummins, and ~18k and $15k on the
nearing 10 year old minis).

Nice thing about MVP - no mileage limits, no "must be garaged"
restrictions, and you -CAN- use them to drive to work or school - but
not every day, just for limited pleasure use.     They do a poor job
of presenting these details in the marketing glossies, but it's stated
clearly in the policy.   At least the Florida classic car addendum:

"EXCLUSIONS:
4. "we do not cover any lose....when it is used more than
infrequently:  a) to drive to work, school, or for errands, or b)
during..your business.. c) as backup...transportation for a vehicle
other than a classic auto."

and while it's a bit backwards, that means that INFREQUENT use for
those purposes is allowed.

Been meaning to do a writeup....