[VB] CA Emissions requirements

Old Volks Home oldvolkshome at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 16:19:36 MST 2013

The Type 4 2.0s used separate CA and Fed Emission Standards from 79-83.5.
 From 76-78 CA and Fed Emissions standards test is essentially the same,
but actual test standard is based on both the VIN/DOT/EPA sticker in the
Rear of the Front Left Door Jam above the striker and on the DOT/EPA
Sticker in the engine compartment (if it is still even there, a lot aren't
after 35+ years).

If the Cat has to be replaced, you are required by CA law to use a
California Approved Cat if it is registered in CA (as of Jan 2012), about
$500 give or take these days.  If the current cat is good, shouldn't be a
problem.  Some 75-78 Federals didn't come with a Cat, but did have EGR, but
only the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) Referee can give the final
determination as to the actual requirements.

As to the Sciroccos, unregistered stored out of site, shouldn't present a
problem.  But I foresee nothing but aggravation and heartache when it comes
time to finish and passing them down the road.  I friend of mine with a
totally tricked-out Scirocco and Rabbit who moved to CA was forced to sell
them out of state, CA BAR wouldn't budge.

Jim Thompson
84 GL 1.9 "Gloria"
84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt"
72 411 Station Wagon "Pug"
75 914 1.8 "Nancy"
Full Timing From March 1999 To January 2012
oldvolkshome at gmail.com
http://www.oldvolkshome.com
Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jim-Thompson/100000710343835