[VB] diagnosing bad fuel pump?

Kevin Guarnotta kguarnotta at usa.net
Tue Oct 8 05:13:41 MST 2013

Thanks for the tips...

I've got a H30/31 Pict carburetor. The fuel pump is a Brosol, made in
brazil. The pivot pin looks to be in place, it has about 1/32 play front to
back, which I would think is ok? The base of the fuel pump is kind of dirty,
so I don't think I'm leaking gas there-otherwise I think I'd see streaks of
dirt or something like that.

I didn't open the bowl lately, but earlier this summer I took the carb
apart, and soaked it in carb cleaner overnight. So I think it is clean. I
did this, as originally I thought the problem was a dirty carb.

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge. As far as temp and vapor lock, I have
thought about that - but it often happens when I've just stopped to get gas,
so I would have just let air into the tank. I think my gas cap is vented,
and when I open the cap, I never hear a woosh noise, like I've just released
some pressure.

I'm looking at alternate fuel pumps, and they look relatively cheap - around
$25. Makes me think it is not worth spending a lot of time messing around
with it. I've never changed the fuel pump on this, so I'd guess it is at
least 15 years old. Not sure how long they last, but if I get 15 years out
of a $25 part, I'm ok with that. My question about a new pump - which is the
right one to get. I understand that because I have an alternator I am
supposed to get a different than stock one, but I can't seem to find them
online-or if I do see some, they look different than mine or I keep running
into electric fuel pumps.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy