[VB] Piston/Liner quality? (was Re: 1600 sp …)

John Anderson wvukidsdoc at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 1 17:47:26 MST 2013

This brings up something related.  Any current informed (more than rumor) opinions here on the quality of various piston and liner sets.  Back in the day I would have always paid for remaining German over the ghastly quality of SA Mahle or KS.  Now the same (well maybe or maybe not improved) SA Mahle (which may or may not have Chinese liners made at the same plant as the Chinese AA) is considered gold compared to the AA or other branded Chinese sets.  I want to know if it's true, because more than double the $$ for something made south of the border vs something made in China isn't in my mind really worth it unless someone knows convincingly that it is.  I'll take my chances with Chinese for the money unless someone really knows different.

I know the initial gripes 8-10 years ago with the AA were that they were not well seasoned and changed (for the worse, going out of round) over time.  But does anyone have an opinion today if a set that measures nice and round, and within barrel to piston spec will stay that way any worse, same, or better than the Mahle that goes twice as much?

Enquiring minds (who are about to build a 1776, sorry I'll take the other choice to make the volume) want to know.  Though I do see the benefit (if there is one) of stroking to do it in that at least the Mahle 85.5's are a damn bit cheaper than the bigger sets, but then I'd just have to make a wide engine or cut the top off those nice new pistons.

John