[VB] Re..heating in a pinch.

John Anderson wvukidsdoc at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 15 11:11:29 MST 2013

Bahh, those aren't going to deplete you.   One of the original vanagon at lenti members, Pat Horrocks used to run one of the Coleman catalytic heaters (the great asbestos impregnated screen things that wick coleman fuel up to the asbestos dome) in her '87 Syncro, even with the top down and just with a window cracked.  Being a syncro she didn't need to run it driving, just while sleeping.

Which I admittedly thought was a wee bit chancy, those being the days prior to battery powered CO detectors.  But when I got to AK, I found those heaters are highly prized for bush flying up here.  People will start one up, and sit it between their legs in their Super Cub, which can't be 1/2 the volume of a Westy with the top down, and fly using the things for heat.  They got to be worse than even 100 candles.

Course there are a lot of small aircraft crashes in the winter up here...

RIP Pat BTW, here is to remembering people gone, proves that CML not CO is what is going to get you in the end.

John

 From: John Kolak jkolak at gmail.com

Think about ventilation and oxygen depletion too